On Wilderness Wisdom #2 ...

For a brief explanation of what this is about, look here.

Implicit Obedience Doesn’t Involve Reconnoitring!

The first three chapters of Deuteronomy are an excellent example of oral tradition. Just before the next generation was to enter the Promised Land, Moses sat down and recited their history over the past forty odd years. The purpose was two-fold – to ensure that the youngsters knew their past, as well as being a reminder of the pit-falls they should avoid.

And one of the pit-falls is in the passage below –

“And I (Moses) said to you... 'Look, the Lord your God has set the land before you; go up and possess it, as the Lord God of your fathers has spoken to you; do not fear or be discouraged.’
“And every one of you came near to me and said, ‘Let us send men before us, and let them search out the land for us, and bring back word to us of the way by which we should go up...’
“The plan pleased me well; so I took twelve of your men, one man from each tribe.” *

This was the incident that sparked the 40 year wilderness wandering. The generation that had come out of bondage and slavery, witnessed amazing wonders and been brought to the edge of the Promised Land, stood dithering before taking the plunge. God told them to go in faith; they decided to gather some information first! In human terms, it was the sensible course of action. Yet, it cost them everything!

Of course, it’s all very well to say that the Israelites did not obey implicitly, but when I am doing the very same thing, do the rules no longer apply? This would be me, choosing to be wilfully blind!

It’s simple – delayed obedience is as good as disobedience!

Which is why, when He tells me to do something, I better hop to it! Even something as mundane as waking up and brushing my teeth before praying! I justified not doing it and the end result was that I fell asleep half-way through!

*Deuteronomy 1:20 – 23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Waiting…Again…

On Father’s Day...Belatedly...

On Waiting...