On Not Being Alone...


Through the lows, I’ve gone from one random thought to the next. Emotions and feelings swinging wildly like a pendulum, but always in silence. There is no love. No desire to serve. No hope. Only a foolish longing for things to go back to the way they were. Followed, unfailingly, by the guilt, for allowing the self-pity to weaken. So despicable in its selfishness.

Dealing with fears and doubts leads to an isolated, lonely existence, I’ve learned. I do not claim to have the answers. Just that there have been moments of clarity that have lifted the fog of confusion. Moments when I realise that I’m not struggling on my own. Thank you, Lord!

The growing darkness closes in
Like some thick fog,
Engulfing me –
A creeping horror –
Till I learned,
“the darkness hideth not
From Thee.”
...As in a darkened room
One knows –
Knows without sight –
Another there,
So, in the darkness,
Sure I knew
Thy presence,
And the cold despair,
Formless and chaotic, merged
To a soft glory;
...No wild
Fears shall torment,
My weakness now.
The dark –the dark –
Surrounds me still.
But so dost Thou!

-          Ruth Bell Graham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Waiting…Again…

On Father’s Day...Belatedly...

On Waiting...