On Comparing...


“Then a dispute arose among them as to which of them would be greatest. And Jesus, perceive(d) the thought of their heart.” *

A part of me always despised the disciples for arguing about who was the greatest. What a childish, ridiculous debate. Men! Trust them to be fighting about some non-issue. Such big egos. Which sensible person would wrangle saying, “I am the greatest.”

Well that was my condescending attitude until I saw them in a new light. It was contended that we are all surprisingly/ shockingly similar to the disciples in that we compare ourselves to each other.

Talk about being douched in cold water!

I cannot even begin to count the number of times I look at someone and mentally decide, “Oh I’d never do that” or “I’m better in that sense” or even, “Oh no, he/she is so much more thoughtful/spiritual/good-looking, etc than I could ever be.” Innumerable times I’ve mentally compared – I vs. Mr. /Ms. X. Sub-consciously tallying the results – who is better i.e. who is the greatest!

Reality check! I’m probably worse than the disciples (there I go, comparing again!). But seriously – how can I judge/ condemn/ mentally tally anyone, when Jesus gave a clear command – “Judge not.” **

* Luke 9:46, 47
** Matthew 7:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Waiting…Again…

On Father’s Day...Belatedly...

On Waiting...