On Being A Scrooge…

So what drives me – the seen or the unseen? Is it the money MD/I earn and the things I can buy with it (like all the books on my wishlist! *sigh*)? Or is it the desire for these “essentials” that motivates me to do what I do?

Chesterton argues that it is the unseen;* and as I grapple with this issue, first hand, I wonder…

For a while I thought I’d gotten over my hardfistedness, until it chose to rear its cynical self again. I thought my annoyance was justified; so I allowed myself to go over and over the issue until I’d been reduced to a mass of irritated nerves! I also knew that MD wouldn’t agree with my opinions, which just added fuel to the fire!

After a fine imaginary argument with an absent MD, (during which I came up with several witty and pithy retorts!), I finally went to my Father and complained. I thought I was right to be angry at MD’s generosity foolishness. Until He said that I ought to be ashamed of myself!

“…And all shall be ashamed who are incensed against Him. In the LORD all…shall be justified.” **

My satisfaction and contentment ought to come from Him, knowing the He is in control of my life and that He will provide for our needs, always. Not in checking our bank balance and trying to convert MD to my penny-pinching ways!  

Surprisingly, the minute I acknowledged my wrong attitude, I felt the anger slip away.

So Chesterton was right after all!


* The Wind And The Trees and In Topsy-Turvy Land from G. K. Chesterton’s Tremendous Trifles
** Isaiah 45:24, 25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Waiting…Again…

On Father’s Day...Belatedly...

On Waiting...